Are you (or do you know) a young activist, aged 35 or under, interested in the fields of international relations, global democracy and regional integration? Are you looking for a unique opportunity to deepen your knowledge about federalism and develop your activism and leadership skills?
The World Federalist Movement (WFM), partnering with the Workable World Trustand theIstituto Spinelli, is offering full financial support to emerging federalists for participation at the 36th Ventotene International Seminar, taking place on 1 – 6 September 2019. Ventotene is a unique island that plays a significant role in the history of the transnational federalist movement. The seminar gathers young activists, primarily drawn from the leadership of JEF (Young European Federalists) and members of the World Federalist Movement. This is a place to meet, learn and share experiences with people from all over Europe and the world.
Why should you apply? Imagine a week bathing in the Mediterranean and listening to world leaders in the fields of peace, justice and federalism — all while meeting talented and energetic youth who share your drive and passion to make the world a better place. This is where leaders of the future are made.
How will you benefit? Selected candidates will receive:
- A scholarship to the 36th International Ventotene Seminar: Airfare to and from Rome will be subsidized by WFM with generous support from The Workable World Trust. Registration fees, board and accommodation are covered by the Istituto Spinelli.
- Pre-seminar orientation workshop: A chance for young new federalists from around the globe to meet each other ahead of time, be introduced to the world federalist campaigns and learn more about European and international affairs ahead of the Ventotene Seminar. An opportunity to engage in discussion and debate about reforming the system of global governance, led by experienced World Federalists.
- Ongoing networking opportunities: Following the seminar, awardees will be provided with opportunities to make ongoing connections with fellow participants and the wider federalist movements, plus support for pre- and post-seminar assignments, discussions and encouragement to stay involved in the movement and its local organizations.
What will be expected of you?
- After applications are processed, the selected candidates will be required to submit an essay of 750-1500 words based on provided material (the Introduction and one or more chapters of the book “Transforming the United Nations System: Designs for a Workable World” by Prof. Joseph Schwartzberg).
- Following the Seminar, participants shall organize an event in their country of residence, targeting a youth audience, to convey what they learned at the Seminar and transmit a brief report about the event. Assistance will be provided by the organizing team and other mentors throughout this process.
- Selected participants shall be willing to participate in ongoing dialogue and coaching with organizers, mentors, previous participants and the wider WFM and aim to stay engaged with the organization in any of the campaigns they choose.
All applications will be reviewed in May. Some candidates may be invited to an interview.
If you are interested in being a part of this amazing experience, please contact the Ventotene Committee of WFM before 1 May 2019.
Submissions should include:
- Applicant’s CV
- A description of the candidate’s education, interest and engagement with federalism.
- A motivational letter telling us why you think you are deserving of such a once in a lifetime opportunity.
- Estimate of the airfare from your city of residence to Rome.
Leave a comment